Bruce Peninsula Association for Community Living promotes a holistic approach where all individuals can participate as equal citizens in community life. We deliver effective and responsive community services and programs for individuals with an intellectual disability.
Located a few hours north west of Toronto on the Bruce Peninsula, Wiarton is a thriving four season community located on the beautiful Niagara Escarpment at Colpoys Bay. The Wiarton area is surrounded by nature providing residents with endless opportunities to live an active lifestyle. Water sports, endless options for hiking and nature gazing. The famous Bruce Trails runs through the waterfront of Wiarton. There is a mountain bike park located 10 minutes north of Wiarton and multiple winter sporting activities – it is a great place to live, work and play in all seasons.
As a member of Bruce Peninsula Association for Community Living the support workers provide direct care and support to individuals receiving supports and services from Bruce Peninsula Association for Community Living. This position is responsible for promoting individual safety, security, dignity and respect to all people. Specifically, the role, responsibilities and activities of the position will be as follows:
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work each day toward supporting people based on the mission, vision and value statements of Bruce Peninsula Association for Community Living.
- Support each person as indicated by the person, their Essential Life Style Plan and their Personal Outcome Measures.
- Support People in areas needed or requested; shopping, recreation activities, vacation needs, relationships, medication and maintenance of their personal possessions and home.
- Accurately complete any required documentation and Essential Life Style Plan information.
- Communicate pertinent information to other support staff.
- Carry out established supports required for the health, safety and rights for the protection and promotion for each person.
Minimum Qualification Criteria
- DSW/CYW and/or minimum of 1 year experience working with people with an intellectual disability.
- Strong written, verbal and non-verbal skills.
- Team player and ability to work independently must be demonstrated.
- Demonstrated ability to support people towards BPACL’s mission.
- Proven skills to appropriately manage crisis situations.
- Proven understanding of Personal Outcome Measures.
- Development and implementation of basic protocols.
- Completion of a recognized pharmacology course is an asset.
- Familiar with lifts and transfers.
- Familiar with adaptive communication.
- Clean driver’s abstract and reliable transportation with 2 million liability insurance.
- Current First Aid/CPR
- Current CPI certificate
Varying shifts – must be available to work a flexible schedule which meet the needs of people supported; includes days, evenings, overnight and weekends. Must be able to work a minimum of 1 shift a month and attend meetings.
Starting Wage: $17.13/hr $102.10 for overnight shifts
Please apply quoting Job # -CASUAL in the subject line to:
314 George Street, P.O. Box 95,
Wiarton, Ont. N0H 2T0
We would like to take this opportunity to thank all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
BPACL is committed to developing an inclusive selection process and work environment. If contacted, please advise the hiring manager if you require any accommodation during the interview process.